Thursday 5 February 2015

Pass the Salt Please

Morning.  Today I am being inspired by the challenge at Splitcoast called "From the Kitchen".  For this challenge we are asked to make a card using something from the kitchen.   I decided to make a background using ink and salt.

I began by masking the edges of my card front and painted on Distress inks.
(Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers, Seedless Preserves)
I made sure the paper was wet then I sprinkled on some Sea Salt and let it dry.  I found that using Sea Salt worked better then using regular Table Salt as it has a much more coarse texture and lifts more colour off the paper.  
When dry I stamped the flowers from Stampendous using Stazon Black ink.  I stamped the sentiment and embossed it in white but it looked a bit lost so using my stamp positioner, I stamped the sentiment again with the Black Stazon ink.


Also adding my card to these challenges:

CAS on Sunday- FLOWERS

Shopping Our Stash- GETTIN INKY
(my oldest inks are Distress inks)

Tip Top Tuesday- FAVOURITE COLOUR COMBO
(my favs are blues and purples)




Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

Supplies:  stamp- Stampendous/ Stazon ink/ white eb powder/ Distress ink/ Sea Salt

16 comments:

Linda Osterwise, DT said...

Karen, this is such a beautiful card, and a very clever technique. You've inspired me to give it a try sometime soon. Thank you for joining us at the Through The Craft Room Door Challenge this week.

Hugz,
Linda O., DT

ionabunny said...

Love this. Great colours and LO. Haven't tried salt with distress inks. Must give it a go. Hugz

Sarn said...

Beautiful background and gorgeous flower stamp.
Hugs, Sarn xxx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Wow! I haven't thought about backgrounds with salt in forever. Once you mentioned it, I immediately wondered how sea salt would fair and now I know the answer. Gorgeous card/color combination.

Verna Angerhofer said...

What a beautiful card. I am glad you mentioned this old technique again as I used to so enjoy doing this. However, I never tried sea salt so that might be something I should look into. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Will have to try!

Margaret said...

What a beautiful card - must look out the salt!

Unknown said...

Another beautiful card, such an effective technique. Karen x

Susanne Vargas said...

Gorgeous background and love the flowers with it!

joy said...

It's been awhile since I used this technique - the sea salt does give it a chunkier look. Pretty card, Karen.

Anke said...

Absolutely stunning, Karin. I love this stamp and your colour combination.

Hugs
Anke

Donna said...

Fantastic! What a great idea to use salt to create a background!! Thanks for joining the Shopping Our Stash crew this week for our "Gettin' Inky" challenge!!

Chana Malkah said...

What a marvelous technique, I will have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing with us here at Shopping Our Stash!
Hugz,
Chana, DT

lauren bergold said...

WOW, what a beautiful card, i so totally love this! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR (inky!) STASH with us this week! :)

Gabby said...

Saw your card as a WIN on the SOS blog post this a.m. CONGRATS, Karen! Beautiful card! Say, did you receive the get-well card I sent a while ago? :)

Sue U said...

Just love this technique, and your card is stunning! Thank you for joining in with our challenge at Top Tip Tuesday
Hugs, Sue