Wednesday 2 August 2017

Just Add Salt- CAS Watercolour Challenge

Welcome to another addition of the 

This month we have a fun one for you....SALT.

There are some great links on the Challenge Blog to help get you started.

So onto my card.
I haven't done the Embossing Folder Stamping Technique for so long and wanted to try it out using my Distress Oxide inks.  Basically what you do is rub ink over the raised area of your embossing folder, spray with water, then press the ink onto you paper.  It is such a great way to get some further mileage from all your embossing folders.

I rubbed my folder with Peeled Paint Distress Oxide ink, sprayed with water then pressed onto my heavy weight cardstock.  While the paper was still wet, I sprinkled on some coarse sea salt.  The salt absorbs the ink but in this case, the salt changed the colour of the ink....so fun! 
 Be sure to set the piece aside and let it dry completely before removing the salt.

Next, I placed the inked piece inside my Misti, inked up the flower stamp and pressed onto my paper.
I stamped the sentiment from IO then lightly sponged the edges with more ink.


Hope you can play along with us.
Thanks for the visit.


Adding my card to these challenges:

Little Red Wagon- FAV PRODUCTS
DOX's
Simon Says Wed.- SPLATTER IT
Monochromatic Magic- ANYTHING GOES
Crafty Creations- ANYTHING GOES


Supplies
Stamps- Wildflowers (TH); Something Incredible (Impression Obsession)
Ink- Peeled Paint Distress Oxide ink (TH); Tuxedo Black Memento
Paper- heavy white cs (local store)
Accessories- EB Folder Hexagon (SU); mister (TH); sponge applicator (TH); MISTI



30 comments:

Mac Mable said...

So interesting to see the salt change the colour of the oxides...so much to learn! Gorgeous card, with great colours and love the embossing folder effect too. Thank you so much for the inspiration x

nancy littrell said...

I love your eb folder stamping and added salt for your artsy background my friend. So beautiful with your die cut wildflowers and wonderful sentiment. TFS Karen. Hugs

Bonnie said...

How fun that the salt changed the color of the DOX inks! And it made a lovely pattern! The wildflowers are perfect against it and I love how that fantastic sentiment is tucked into it! A lovely card, my friend!

Christine Alexander said...

Karen, I love the effect of the salt on the colour of the DOX ink, it so cool. The simple silhouette flower is perfect against your amazing background.

Annie said...

This is a pretty card. What a fun surprise result with the salt! I haven't yet tried that embossing folder technique. So many techniques, so little time!

Elizabeth Hart said...

Love how the pattern and colors came together when you watercolor embossed them. So fabulous. Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Crafty Creations Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

SD pooja said...

Wonderful background ! I loved the card :)

Aquarius said...

Wow - yet another fab background idea - what I love is the unpredictability of these techniques with colour/water/salt and so on. The quote is appropriate too - always lots to learn

Gabi MeWi said...

Karen I love the background and your card.

Lisa J said...

Very unique design and pretty. Thanks for playing along with me this month. Lisa Monochrome Magic

Nota Bene said...

This background is so wonderful! I love this card.
Nele

aussie aNNie said...

Why do I love coming here?? Well goodness you have the best info on amazing techniques around. This is one I want to do....xx

Ros Crawford said...

That's amazing! What a terrific card and beautiful BG! Thanks so much for having me with you this month!

Pat said...

I adore the inked EF background Karen and the pretty green changed by the salt, and the contrasting silhouette flowers and sentiment look beautiful over the top. A gorgeous card. x

Cara said...

Beautiful, love the reaction of the oxides, gives a fabulous effect x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful background using that technique. I may have to try it as well with the oxides I have. I have done it before with other types of inks so liked it that way as well.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I'm loving how that background turned out. The whole card turned out awesome.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Another WOW card Karen, love the technique you used, a Gorgeous result and colours too, love the sentiment.
Faith
x

Susan said...

So interesting that the salt changed the colour of the Oxide inks! I'll be trying that out for sure. Love the shades of green and yellow! Perfect background for your stamps.

M said...

Beautiful card!! Love all the inked layers :). Thanks for joining the girlfriends this week at Little Red Wagon!! :)

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous Karen, fabulous colours and design, another new technique to try, love it Kate x

Loll said...

Beautiful design, Karen. And what a cool reaction from the salt to create different shades of green! xx

GrĆ” O'Neill said...

Beautiful card & a fabulous technique :)

MaggieB1983 said...

Gorgeous card and I have to admit I've never tried using a coarse salt after using the embossing folder. Will definitely have to experiment with this technique. Thanks for sharing.
#kindnessmatters

Sylvia said...

Gorgeous card,Karen.Love the beautiful background.Enjoy your weekend.

Gr,Sylvia.

sarascloset said...

Very cool technique, with fabulous results! Oh the possibilities! Thank you for the inspiration! Hugs!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Very interesting results, Karen! The background is amazing with the striking black wildflowers and the sentiment. Thank you for the link to the eb folder stamping technique and the tip! I'll try it. :-) Hideko

SherylH said...

What a fantastic background and something fun to try with Distres Oxides!

Tracy Freeman said...

Really beautiful, the background is just stunning.
Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge x

Julia Aston said...

what a gorgeous result with your inked embossing folder Karen! love the color change with the salt and your silhouette stem and sentiment stamping! I have to go try this now!