Tuesday 8 August 2017

Beach Life

Good Morning.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am playing along with some of the challenges at Splitcoast.
This was a long weekend here for us, so I had time to play.
I made 2 cards using the same stamps but totally different techniques which I will do my best to explain.

The card above was really an experiment to see what would happen if I used hot glue on my cardstock.  I had read about a technique using it with heat embossing so thought I would give it a whirl.
I began with heavy weight cardstock and squeezed a line of hot glue onto my paper.  While it was still hot, I used a credit card to pull the glue downwards and really didn't know what to expect.  Before it cooled, I sprinkled on some white embossing powder and melted that with my heat gun.  After it cooled, it reminded me of water and a wave so I inked up the background with Distress Oxide ink and then using my Misti, stamped the birds and the sentiment.
Fun to try something new.




The second card is more straight forward.

For this card, I watercolored the background using Distress inks, then using my Misti, I stamped the same birds as above.  
For the card front, I used a piece of drywall tape to stencil using Peeled Paint and Mowed Lawn Distress inks.  I thought the green was a nice compliment to the colours in the scene.  I stamped the sentiment from Mama Elephant using black Memento ink and mounted the scene over the bkg using foam dots.


Well there you have it.  Two different cards using the same stamps.
 Thanks so much for the visit!


Adding my card to these challenges:

Use Your Stuff- QUOTE
(quote on my card)
 A Bit More Time to Craft- ANYTHING GOES
Create and Inspire- ANYTHING GOES
NordSalten Hobby Club- BLUE
Stempelgarten- SUMMERTIME

Supplies
Card #1
Stamps- Flying Crane, Standing Crane (Frog's Whiskers); 
Everyday Beauty (Impression Obsession)
Ink- DOX- Salty Ocean; Memento black
Paper- heavy weight (local store)
Accessories and Tools- Misti; hot glue; credit card; white eb powder; heat tool; sponging tool

Card #2
Stamps- Flying Crane, Standing Crane (Frog's Whiskers); Everyday Greetings (Mama Elephant)
Ink- Distress ink- Salty Ocean, Peeled Paint,Seedless Perserves
Paper- heavy weight (local store)
Accessories and Tools- Misti; drywall tape; foam dots; paintbrush

28 comments:

Aileen said...

Hi Karen, love both cards but really like the hot glue idea, looks wonderful. I tried a bit with some inchie squares but struggled with the end look, think I was too worried about getting burned. Love the white embossing on the glue, really looks good.

aussie aNNie said...

Wow awesome and can't wait to try this...need some more glue for the gun but looks awesome. Love the other card too...xx[aNNie]

Dotty Jo said...

Two very beautiful cards! I love the drama of your first card, Jo x

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous cards and colours Karen
Gr Karin

Anke said...

Wonderful cards, Karen. I love both ...

Hugs
Anke

Cara said...

Very interesting technique, it works really well. Two beautiful cards x

cuilliesocks said...

My goodness I love both of your cards Karen, fabulous images and colours, and another super technique to try, Kate x

Susan said...

So interesting to see two totally different looks from the same stamps! Love the first one with the great glue / embossing powder technique - it really does look like a frothy wave washing up near the birds.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Both cards using those stamps are so beautiful! Great work indeed!

nancy littrell said...

TFS both your beautiful landscape cards, Karen. Your 1st card using your new technique is really amazing. It looks like a waterfall with your cranes and grass perfectly placed. Really stunning and with a wonderful sentiment.

Your 2nd card you have created a gorgeous background for your cranes. Love your addition of the dry wall stenciling and beautiful sentiment. Again...TFS both creative beauties my friend. Hugs

Claudia said...

Hi Karen, what great cards. Love the layout, the great scene you created, as well the stencilling on the green background paper, just perfectly made.

Thank you very much for joining us at the Stempelgarten Challenge.

Hugs and good luck
Claudia

Loll said...

Two beautiful beach cards, Karen. LOVE the way the hot glue worked on your card. It's an incredible effect. xx

crafty-stamper said...

Both beautiful-but love the hot wax technique on the 1st and what a fantastic result-----Thank you for joining us at Create and Inspire
Carol DT x

missgailly said...

Both cards are fantastic. Love how you've shown two different ideas with one stamp set. Thanks for playing along at USE YOUR STUFF - Gail

Nstiz said...

Beautiful cards, Karen! I must say you are one of the most innovative stampers out there! You always find a way to do something new with these techniques. The results are fantastic!

Bonnie said...

WOW! Both of these are fantastic, Karen! I love the stamps and both backgrounds are so different from each other yet equally as perfect for these scenes! So glad you had some extra time to stamp!

Christine Alexander said...

your hot glue experiment is amazing, did it melt the card? I love hot glue and embossing powder but this takes it to another level.
love the scenes with you dry wall tape, so serene :)

Rika said...

stunning cards, i love both!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! I LOVE how you try new techniques and they come out so beautiful, you have a very creative eye.
Faith
x

Mac Mable said...

Yes always interesting to try something new. I always learn something new when I pop in....Thank you once again x Gorgeous cards, thank you for the inspiration x

Loose Stitches said...

Gorgeous cards Karen, love the colors, images and design! I'm one of your followers. :)
Hugs, Sherry x
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

Chris C said...

Beautiful cards and perfect quotes. Thanks for joining us at Use Your Stuff.

Pat said...

Somehow I missed these two cards Karen and they are gorgeous. I love the cranes and the embossed hot glue really does look like the white crests of waves, and then the second looks great with the drywall tape stencilling in the background, and the blues and greens make a fabulous backdrop to the lovely cranes. x

Bobby said...

You are so brave to try different techniques, Karen. The hot glue idea works great for waves and I could see it as snow.

Dortesjs said...

awsome tec ;O))

Barb said...

Two beautiful cards Karen. That's a fantastic technique and looks very impressive. Thanks for sharing. Barbxx

Bunny said...

Two beautiful cards. The first one reminded me of a snow bank with the beautiful blue of the water showing below. How smart of you to use the drywall tape. [Bunny]

Brawny x said...

Fabulous cards. What an interesting technique x