Monday 15 August 2016

Embossed Get Well


 Hello.  
Today's card was made for a friend who is recovering from surgery.  
I am off this week so have got a bit of extra time to play and I am trying to get a few things done before I have some dental surgery on Wednesday.

I love this flower from STAMPlorations and wanted to use it to make a card.  I just love all the details it has and I really wanted to showcase that so had to think about how I could stamp the flowers and keep them white on my card front.  There were 2 ways I could have gone with trying to achieve that look; I could have masked after stamping or embossed the whole flower.  
So, I stamped the flower using black Memento ink then embossed the flowers with clear ink.  The flowers looked a bit dull to me, so my decision was made to emboss them with clear.
I took out my Versamark pen and coloured in the flowers, poured on the clear embossing powder and heat set.  The flowers really popped and had such a lovely sheen which they wouldn't have had if I had just masked them.  It also created a resist for inking up my background.  
I stamped the sentiment from Studio G then embossed it with clear as well.
Next, I inked the whole background with Peacock Feathers and Salty Ocean Distress inks, concentrating more color around the flowers and less around the sentiment to really make them be the focal point of this card.  
I sprayed on some water to lift the color and add depth and interest around the flowers...like little drops of rain.
The last step was to wipe away any ink that remained on the top of the embossed flowers to reveal these bright, white beauties.
 




 Adding my card to these challenges:

(I opted for no gold)

 CAS Mix Up- STAMPING, SPRAYS (water) and YOUR CHOICE (embossing)

Paper Creator- KEEP IT SIMPLE 

My Time to Craft- EMBOSSING

Brown Sugar- ANYTHING GOES


Thanks so much for coming to take a look.

Supplies:  stamps- STAMPlorations, Studio G/ clear eb powder/ Versamark pen/ heat tool/ ink-Distress, Memento, MISTI


23 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing your art and technique.

JanR said...

Beautiful! Wonderful technique too. Hope all goes smoothly on Wednesday!

Loll said...

So clever and creative Karen. LOVE how the white flowers really POP off the gorgeous shades of blue background. The splattering and lifting of colour really does look like it's raining on your pretty blooms. Great card!! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

Ina G said...

What a beautiful result you achieved here Karen. Love it.

Redanne said...

This is so beautiful Karen, I just love how the flowers pop against that gorgeous blue background! x

Aileen said...

Beautiful card Karen, love the idea of embossing the flower like that, it really highlights it perfectly.

Bonnie said...

WOW! These flowers are gorgeous, Karen! I love how they pop with that rich background! Thanks for sharing all the details. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

Nstiz said...

What a brilliant way to use that beautiful stamp, Karen! They look just incredible against the bright, blue background. Love your sponging- so perfectly done and your gradient is fabulous!

Christine said...

Very nice!
Christine

Marie-Louise said...

This is gorgeous Karen.

SD pooja said...

Initially I thought it to be masking ,but its something more interesting !! Beautiful card.

Suchi said...

Looks like masking..but a cool technique!! LOVE the card very much!! :)
Suchi xx

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, sweet Karen, I am swooning over this card! I love this stamp (and you enabled me to get it - hehe!), and what a gorgeous card! Thank you for the wonderful idea to emboss over the white to make it easier to do the Distress Ink background! Wow, it's stunning. And I am praying for your dental surgery on Wednesday. It's good you are getting it done, but it's just one of those ucky things we have to do. Tender hugs, precious friend! xoxo

Diane Jaquay said...

This is such a cool look with the embossed white flowers and gorgeous blue background, gorgeous!!!

Becca Cruger said...

Woooooow... I was scrolling through my bloggy feed and this stunner caught my eye. Of course I had to click through for a closer look. Beeeee-youteefull!

Unknown said...

Just lovely!

Toni said...

Gorgeous, Karen! The uncolored blossoms against that background are amazing! Thanks for joining us at Stamplorations CAS!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This card has a definitely WOW factor. Those flowers really pop. You made it happen.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Another gorgeous card.

Liz McGuire, said...

Oh my, this is gorgeous, love it!

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous emboss resist technique Karen. I love the dimension you achieved with your heat embossed flowers, sponged background and sprayed water drops. TFS and joining us at CAS Mix Up my friend. Hugs, Nancy

cohenna said...

Beautiful! Thanks so much for participating in the My Time To Craft Challenge and good luck :)

Verna Angerhofer said...

I got this gorgeous card yesterday and love it. You are so very kind to think of me. It is even more beautiful in real life. Thanks so much Karen. I will have to try embossing an image with clear the way you did the flower on the card.