Tuesday 7 October 2014

Glowing


The fall colours on the trees are just glowing at this time of year so when I saw this challenge at Splitcoast, it inspired me to make a card.  

I wanted to get some watercolouring in, it has been awhile since I have picked up a paint brush.  
I began by stamping the flower from Stampendous with Antique Linen Distress ink onto watercolour paper.  I used that colour as it is light enough and will fade away under the watercolour.
Next, I took more distress ink (Ripe Persimmon, Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Squeezed Lemonade) and pressed the pads onto my acrylic block to use as a palette.  I added some water to the ink then started to paint.  I wet the paper with clear water before adding the colour to each petal working one petal at a time.  It helps to paint a petal then skip the next giving the first one time to dry and not run into the one beside it.  When all was dry, I added the pearls to the center and the sentiment.

Adding my card to these challenges:

Keep it Simple- THREES (pearls)

Shopping Our Stash- FALL COLOURS

Addicted to Stamps- INSPIRATION PHOTO

Brown Sugar- AUTUMN or FALL



Thanks so much for looking.  

Supplies:  stamps- Stampendous, Technique Tuesday/  Distress inks/ Memento bl ink/ pearls/ watercolour paper/ paint brush

18 comments:

Julie B said...

So lush and vibrant as well as a brilliant w/c, it reminds me of one of my Dad's dahlias!
So pleased you joined in with us at ATSM this week. :)

Susanne Vargas said...

Oh, this flower is so stunning it took my breath away!

Carol L said...

What a gorgeous flower! This is so awesome, and TFS how you created it!!

CherylQuilts said...

WOW! Karen, this is absolutely, completely stunning! It's gorgeous! I love your technique, and thanks for the tip about not coloring the petal next to one until it dries! Wow, did you make me smile today when I saw your blog! Hugs, sweet friend!

Dotty Jo said...

And doesn't it glow! How beautiful, Jo x

Neets B said...

Ooh, what a juicy bloom! That's gorgeous, Karen. I have a palette of watercolours and MUST get them out sometimes :) Thanks for sharing this beauty with us at ATSM this week, Anita x

Donna said...

Gorgeous!! Fantastic watercolouring!! Thanks so much for playing along with the Shopping Our Stash Crew for the "Most Colourful Time of the Year" challenge!

Unknown said...

A real work if art, it should be framed and hung on the wall. Karen x

Bobby said...

Beautiful painting, Karen.

Jackie Elliott said...

A lovely card, using my favourite colours and I'll have to try this technique of stamping and then doing the painting over the top, brilliant.

Loll said...

Wow!! Amazing watercolouring Karen. Love it! Loll xx

Sandy said...

That is the most gorgeous card I have seen in a very long time! Can you please share the exact name of the stamp that you used? Thanks very much.

shirley-bee said...

Beautiful Distress Ink painting, Karen!

Anonymous said...

Karen, this is Outstanding! I have this very stamp and I'm afraid to use it. LOL Looks like I've been thinking about it all wrong.

Tracey McNeely said...

Gorgeous card Karen!

lauren bergold said...

oh wow, wow, WOW, what a gorgeously autumnal card and possibly the best example i've ever seen of watercoloring with distress inks! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR (colorful!) STASH with us this week! ♥♥♥

Leslie Hanna said...

This is gorgeous! I love these colors together. Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

Lyndal said...

FABULOUS watercolouring Karen - LOVE it! So glad you joined in the fun @ Keep It Simple!